blog in Lomellina
Insert your business on Lomellina Advisor and reach more customers
The Benedictine Abbey of San Pietro was the seat of the Bremetense Order, one of the most powerful in Italy and Europe. Restored around 1650, today the abbey houses the town hall. Also worth visiting are the Romanesque baptistery (8th-10th centuries), the crypt (10th century) and the rural sanctuary of Santa Maria di Pollicino (private property).
In the early Middle Ages the town was known for its fortress, a tower which bears the inscription "Ambrosius Majnoni fecit opus an. 703". Private property. Part of the farm buildings have been refurbished for public events.
The castle located in the hamlet of Villanova, dating back to the 14th century, was the country residence of the Sforza dukes, who experimented there for the first time with the cultivation of rice in Lomellina.
The castle, initially owned by the Confalonieri, was sold to the Caccia novaresi and, in 1465, to the Gallarati, still owners today. The castle of the Celpenchio district dates back to the fourteenth century. Private property.