The name comes from the Agogna river which flows closeby and originates near the ford that connects Mortara and Cozzo, passageway for the Francigena route.
The castle probably dates back to the XII or XIII century, perhaps built over a military Roman complex (castrum). The first mentions date back to a document from 1376. A few years later, the place was once again referenced to as “Castrum Agogne eiusque villam”, indicating the presence of a village.
From the documents which can still be found inside the castle (the important Isimbardi Archive) we can trace the circumstances of the different successive ownerships, starting from the first owners, the Della Torre, all the way through the Isimbardi (from the second half of the XVII century until 1909), ending with the Gregotti family (rich local farmers) and Vera Coghi who was the last heir. After her passing in 2007, she devolved her entire heritage to works of charity and social solidarity, creating the Vera Coghi Foundation which is the current owner of the castle.
The building (notoriously modified through the centuries) has a traditional square plan, typical of castles in the Lombard plain. There are however some peculiarities, such as the presence of only one angular tower decorated by terracotta friezes and where we can still see traces of semicircular single-lancet windows. The main entrance goes through the turret of the south-eastern front, which protrudes towards the moat and still bears the traces of the draw bridge and of the walking bridge. The current windows were opened in recent times, between the late XVIII century and the early XX century.
The castle is surrounded by a wide park, in which we can find a series of building of different eras (some quite recent) and we can also find among them a structure that hosts and extraordinary proof of Lomellina’s past, a microfleece of wood from 1930 which replicates the processing of the rice (husking of the paddy rice, separation of the husk, whitening of the husked rice).
The Isimbardi Castle is nowadays a location for temporary and permanent exhibitions and it is also used as an event venue events (congresses, weddings).
The association Vigevano Promotions organizes half-day or full day customized itineraries to guide the groups of visitors in the discovery of the stories and legends inside of them.
For information about the guided tours:
tel: +39 351 8782734