Crivelli Castle - Lomello

In 1450 Antonio Crivelli had the castle built almost from the foundations, which had been destroyed by Facino Cane, and had it surrounded by a moat. Today it is the seat of the town hall.

Photo gallery
Crivelli Castle - Lomello - Image: 1
Crivelli Castle - Lomello - Image: 2
Crivelli Castle - Lomello - Image: 3
Article description

Crivelli Castle was destroyed in the period in which Facino Cane sacked Lomello.
Subsequently, in 1450, the Sforza family - who succeeded the Visconti - assigned the Lomello fiefdom to Antonio Crivelli who was the architect of the reconstruction of the castle: he rebuilt it as a fortress, emphasizing its purely defensive function. A distinguished member among the Crivelli counts was without doubt Cardinal Alessandro, Antonio's great-grandson.
A great lover of the arts, in 1549 he commissioned the restoration of the augustan Lomellese residence: he had built the loggia overlooking the courtyard, the representative staircase leading to the upper floor, but above all he had all the internal rooms of the manor frescoed with sacred cycles and laymen.
Small and semi-unknown jewel of Mannerist art in Lombardy, it deserves a greater appreciation for its distinguished decorative heritage. Inside, in fact, it is possible to admire the only polychrome mosaic found so far in Lomellina, datable to the 2nd century A. C.

[To report any typos/errors, please use the contact form. We appreciate your cooperation.]
The page you are on represents a place of interest belonging to an itinerary, click here to see it complete
Continue the discovery of the area through our itineraries, click here to see them all
Next place on the itinerary
Mede Castle
Mede Castle
The castle built in the 12th century was the seat of the Counts of Mede and then of the Sangiuliani. Today it houses the "Masinari" library and the civic museums. In the Tortorolo hamlet the castle dates back to the 16th century. Private property.
Previous place of the itinerary
Gambarana Castle
Gambarana Castle
The castle (16th century) stands in the center of the town in the shape of a parallelepiped; two noteworthy monuments are a cylindrical half-tower and an entrance with the coat of arms of the Counts of Gambarana. Private property.